Wednesday, September 27, 2006

on the subject of... healthcare

here's a picture of me with the first person i helped to stop smoking:



so i left my job last week, all of a sudden (my decision!), and its got me thinking. a lot has happened in the year since i started working there... we released circlesend, i got into medical school, dad died, pippa & i split up... and its really hit home how much of a difference having a job you enjoy can make to your life. i did enjoy my previous job (working with aduls with learning disabilities) but found it very limited. the job i've just left (HCA for a large GP partnership in Southwark), whilst i wouldn't want to do it forever, has really affirmed my commitment to becoming a doctor. i also think that having worked on the lowest rung of the clinical ladder will ultimately make me a better doctor. i feel fortunate to know what i want to do with my life when so many people i know really don't.

working with people is so rewarding, especially when you can make a difference to them (albeit a small difference in my case). it also puts my own woes into perspective and makes me realise how lucky i am. i guess i'm actually slightly apprehensive about not working with people for a while, as it'll give my head a good chance to lose perspective and that might not be good...